- They have been admitted to a hospital
- Three officers, together with a health care provider, have been suspended in Yavatmal
- Nationwide Polio Immunisation Drive 2021 was launched final week
In a case of big negligence, 12 youngsters got sanitiser as an alternative of oral polio vaccine in a village in Yavatmal district of Maharashtra, about 700 km from state capital Mumbai, an official stated on Monday.
The affected youngsters, all beneath 5 years of age, have been admitted to a authorities hospital, the place their situation is claimed to be steady, the district official stated, including that three healthcare staff will face motion for the lapse.
The incident was reported on Sunday at a major healthcare centre in a village when the Nationwide Pulse Polio vaccination drive for kids between 1-5 years of age started, the official stated.
Yavatmal Zilla Parishad CEO Shrikrishna Panchal stated 12 youngsters beneath 5 years of age got sanitiser as an alternative of polio drops.
Subsequently, one of many youngsters complained of vomiting and uneasiness, he stated.
All the kids who got sanitiser drops have been administered polio drops and admitted to the Authorities Medical School in Yavatmal, Shrikrishna Panchal stated.
Their situation is steady and they’re below statement.
He stated as per preliminary info, three healthcare staff – a health care provider, anganwadi sevika and an ASHA volunteer – have been current on the PHC on the time of the incident.
“An inquiry is underway and orders can be issued to droop all of the three healthcare staff,” Mr Panchal stated.
In the meantime, one other official stated the incident got here to gentle when the village sarpanch checked the drops and located them to be hand sanitiser and never polio doses.
After the incident, mother and father within the space are below worry and have demanded motion in opposition to the individuals chargeable for the surprising lapse, he stated.
Yavatmal Collector M D Singh visited the hospital and enquired in regards to the situation of the kids, the official stated.
The incident happened on the Polio Nationwide Immunisation Day, which is noticed on January 31.